Sunday, September 6, 2009

Getting on track...

Life is like riding a wave. Sometimes you're on the crest, and sometimes you're underneath gasping for breath and reaching for the surface. Some of those waves take you by surprise as they pull you under. And others, you can see it happening before it happens but you know there isn't a damn thing you can do about it. I think we learn more from the time we spend reaching for the surface after being battered by the wave. Certainly we learn more about ourselves, and our resilience. And - we also learn how to handle being overcome by the wave better. We willingly go out surfing. We know we're not always going to be riding the wave smoothly. But we still go willingly. And we learn how to ride it out better each time. We also learn how to recover from the tumble each time.

All that from me, who has never surfed and is afraid of big waves! But as it relates to life, that I get. I've learned a very good lesson about myself this week. I've been playing the victim for awhile and apparently enjoying it enough to continue it for too damn long. Along with that, you inadvertently hurt people along the way, and no doubt alienate a few as well. It is time to realize my full potential as the positive, resilient, upbeat person I portray when I'm not wallowing. Not to diminish the ups and downs of life, that is part of the whole program. But the difference I'm seeing now is this - I can choose to use everything that I go through in life as part of the learning process, a way to make me the person I have yet to become.

I read this yesterday, and I like it:
Don't audit life. Show up and make the most of it now.

No comments: